The Democrat and Chronicle Media Group, with the support of several community partners, has developed Let's Move, RocKids!, a social gaming initiative that encourages kids ages 4-12 to eat healthier and be active to help prevent childhood obesity. The local project was inspired by First Lady Michelle Obama's Let's Move initiative with the same objective.
This is the second year for the game, and we have changed it up a little. This year, students will play for six weeks and classrooms all over the region will compete for weekly prizes of $500 in school supplies. We also will award prizes to individuals who are playing with their classrooms, with their families, or by themselves.
Challenges, based on weekly themes, will include online activities, newspaper puzzles and community activities. Throughout the game, classes will collaborate with others on their team and compete against other classes that are participating. Players from the class with the highest total points at the end of each week (5 p.m. Friday) will be eligible for the prizes. In cases of ties, there will be a random drawing to pick a winner.
Signing up is easy. If you are playing with your class, your teacher already has registered your name and you can get login information from him or her. To play as an individual:
1. At http://letsmoverockids.com, register by creating an account.
2. Score as many points as you can through the weekly challenges.
3. Look for new games around 5:01 p.m. on Fridays.
4. Click the "Leaderboard" tab above and see how everyone is doing or go to http://letsmoverockids.com/leaderboard. We publish the Leaderboard from the end of each week on page 2A in Sunday's newspaper.
5. We will publish newspaper puzzles on the Do It! page (back of Sports) on Sunday, Oct. 7. If you can't get a newspaper, we set aside extra copies in the front lobby.
6. Game play runs Sept. 17 – Oct. 26.
Here’s to a healthier you!